Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sandals and Jewelry {With A Purpose}

Wanna see what I got for my birthday? 


From my hubby and his family :)
Let me introduce you to my new Sseko Sandals. These aren't just a cute pair of everyday sandals but these were hand made by beautiful young women in Uganda. Women who desire to become doctors, lawyers, politicians, writers and teachers. These young women are committed to furthering their education by attending a University and with this opportunity to earn money for their tuition, they will . 


I love how cute and unique these sandals are.  I am having fun learning and coming up with different ties to make them my own.  You can get various color straps to switch the look too. I picked out these pretty turquoise straps and brown straps too. They even have a custom wedding line...hmm.. if I could do it over again I would have chosen these over my flip flops I wore! 


{It's not as easy as you may think to take a picture of your own wrist}....
Here's my other present from my little sister. She ordered this from 31Bits. This bracelet was also made by women living in Uganda. Women with hopes and dreams for themselves and their family. With opportunities like this they can flourish and help provide for their family. These beads are made from scraps of paper. Seriously. There are various styles of bracelets and necklaces available. Check out their stories here

It's really amazing to wear something that was made by a woman half a world away from me. A woman who really is not that different than me other than by circumstance. They want to learn. They want to have purpose. They love their children. They want to support their families the best they can. 

I love having purpose in gifts. Both giving and receiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment