Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Version of Easy Chicken Fried Rice {and a little rant about naps}

Well, I had every attention of blogging some kind of real post about things I have been learning lately but alas my 3 year thinks it's her duty to get out a bed 100 times before finally calling it a night at about 10pm. I think we have officially hit the point where she no longer needs to take an afternoon nap and that makes me a little sad but not really in the "oh my baby girl is growing up sad" more like "when in the world am I going to have time to get things done without those precious 2 hours of quiet, sad."  Looks like I need to start figuring out some quiet activities that will keep her attention for more than 2 minutes....


Don't worry, I am not going to leave you with just this little rant about my loss...  I have a recipe, and it's even easy and kid approved in my house so that's a plus!


My Version of Easy Chicken Fried Rice
I usually just throw this together without measuring it but since that wouldn't be too helpful but I attempted to measure and take pictures so I could share.... it's not exact and you don't have to follow it perfectly to get good results....
You will need:
3 1/2 Cups Cooked Rice (I used brown rice)
1 Cup Frozen Peas
1 Cup Cooked Carrots (you could probably use frozen, I'm just not a fan)
1 1/2 Cups Diced Cooked Chicken
1 Egg
Soy Sauce (start with about 3 TBS, add more depending on taste)
Chinese Style Mustard (start with about 2 TBS)(FYI, mine said extra spicy but it really wasn't that spicy at all)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Cooking Oil (I used Canola)
*You could probably add onions too if you like that, I never feel like cutting them up*
*Tip- I cooked my carrots in my little steamer basket of my rice cooker to save a little time*
Start with a large skillet or wok on medium high heat. Put a few TBS of oil in the pan and heat. Add egg and scramble up in oil. 
Add rice, frozen peas, cooked carrots, and chicken and then soy sauce and mustard. Heat through adding more sauce if desired. Salt and Pepper to taste. 

That's it, pretty good and easy. My girls like it and using the brown rice it's healthy so that's a plus. BUT a little disclaimer, if you have toddlers this WILL make a mess (Isn't rice the hardest to clean up!?!) So my suggestion, after dinner go for a walk, then put the kids to bed and clean it up later when it's gotten yucky and hard, MUCH easier to sweep up....

No comments:

Post a Comment